You may be eligible for a B-1 visa if you will be participating in business activities of a commercial or professional nature in the United States, including, but not limited to:


  • Consulting with business associates

  • Traveling for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or a conference on specific dates

  • Settling an estate

  • Negotiating a contract

  • Participating in short-term training

  • Transiting through the United States: certain persons may transit the United States with a B-1 visa

  • Deadheading: certain air crewmen may enter the United States as deadhead crew with a B-1 visa




You must demonstrate the following in order to be eligible to obtain a B-1 visa:


  • The purpose of your trip is to enter the United States for business of a legitimate nature

  • You plan to remain for a specific limited period of time

  • You have the funds to cover the expenses of the trip and your stay in the United States

  • You have a residence outside the United States in which you have no intention of abandoning, as well as other binding ties which will ensure your return abroad at the end of the visit

  • You are otherwise admissible to the United States





You will need to complete Form DS-160 to apply for the B-1 Visa.  Aliens seeking a B-1 visa from certain countries may be able to enter the United States without a visa. 


If you are in the United States in another valid nonimmigrant status, you may be eligible to change to B-1 status.  To change to B-1 status, you must file a Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. 




Initial Period of Stay: 1 to 6 months; 6 months is the maximum 

Extension of Stay: Up to 6 months; maximum total amount of time permitted in B-1 status on any one trip is generally 1 year.


At the port of entry, an immigration official must authorize your admission to the United States, and, if you are eligible for admission, you may be admitted initially for the period necessary to carry out your business activities, up to a maximum period of 1 year.  If you who wish to stay beyond the time indicated on the Form I-94 without departing from the United States, you must file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status and submit any required supporting documents to USCIS.




Your spouse and children are not eligible to obtain a dependent visa. Each of your dependents who will be accompanying or following to join you must apply separately for a B-1 visa and must follow the regulations for that visa.