WASHINGTON- Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson has extended Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for eligible nationals of El Salvador for an additional 18 months from September 10, 2016 to March 9, 2018.

People with TPS are authorized to live and work in the United States and may not be removed or deported while they continue to meet the requirements of TPS. TPS beneficiaries may also be granted travel authorization as a matter of discretion. A grant of TPS does not result in or lead to lawful permanent resident status.


To extend your current TPS, you must re-register during the 60-day period from July 8, 2016 to September 6, 2016.


El Salvadorian nationals, and those who last habitually resided in El Salvador, and who currently hold valid TPS may re-register during this 60-day period. El Salvadorians who continuously resided in the U.S. since February 13, 2001 and who have been continuously present in the U.S. since March 9, 2001 may be eligible to receive TPS.

Additionally, in limited situations, USCIS may grant TPS to El Salvadorians who file their initial applications late if certain conditions are met. See, for more information.


Current El Salvadorian TPS beneficiaries must re-register during the 60-day period from

July 8 - September 6, 2016. The 18-month extension allows TPS re-registrants to apply for a new Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Those who re-register during this 60-day period will receive automatic extensions of their current EADs valid to March 9, 2017 while they are waiting for their new EAD which will be valid to March 9, 2018.


To prove that your EAD or work card is automatically extended, show your employer or government agencies the following:

1) Your TPS work card with July 5, 2016 expiration date, and

2) A copy of the Federal Register notice announcing the automatic extension.


1) Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status (re-registrants do not need to pay the Form I-821 application fee);

2) Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, regardless of whether or not you want an EAD;

3) The Form I-765 application fee (or a fee waiver request*) if an EAD is requested, and

4) The biometric service fee (or a fee waiver*) if over age 14.

* Fee waiver requests are filed on Form I-912 with applicable evidence of financial need.

Feel free to call or email Brenman Immigration Law Firm at 919-932-4593 or if you have questions or need additional information.

#tps #temporaryprotectedstatus #elsalvador #workcard

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

Subscribe to Brenman Immigration Law Updates

North Carolina:       976 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd, 2nd Floor, Chapel Hill, NC - Cornerstone Building - BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

 | Ph: 1-919-932-4593 | Fax: 1-919-942-8674 , Web: 


  • YouTube Clean
  • Google+ Clean
  • w-facebook
  • LinkedIn Clean
  • Twitter Clean

© 2018 by Brenman Immigration Law Firm, PLLC.


DISCLAIMER: Brenman Immigration Law Firm is located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  We serve clients in Washington, DC, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, and nationwide.  Our practice is limited to Federal Immigration Law only. 


All material contained herein is for informational purposes only. They are not offered as legal or any other advice on any particular matter. Viewing or transmitting this information does not create nor constitute an attorney-client relationship between Brenman Immigraton Law Firm, PLLC, and the user.  The Firm and the attorneys expressly disclaim all liability to any person in respect of anything and in respect of the consequences of anything done or omitted to be done wholly or partly in reliance upon the whole or any part of the contents of this web site. Reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than for individual use only and may not be recopied and shared with a third party.  The permission to recopy by an individual does not allow for incorporation of material or any part of it in any work or publication, whether in hard copy, electronic, or any other form.  The site contains links to servers maintained by other business and organizations which is intended to aid research or provide a service to site visitors.  The Firm cannot provide any warranty as to the accuracy or source of information contained on any of these servers.